Happy International Women’s Day!
If you’re like me you’ve :
- seen the pro and anti posts on your social media
- saw suggestions to participate in a gender strike
- were given suggestions about celebrating by purchasing a host of items
- been instructed to give up the second shift
The last two cost. The first because unless you’re taking a vacation day you’re out of money, also if all the women at my business took the day off we’d just have a lot to do tomorrow.
The second is obvious, no I’m not buying all my female friends trinkets to celebrate their identity.
I opted to celebrate in my own way. Instead of putting money out I went with emotion:
- I messaged female friends who have lifted me up with notes on why I adore them
- I took time to honour myself through a yoga class
- I was kind to myself
The day, for me, serves as a reminder to not judge others harshly, to identify when I engage in sexist thinking/behaviour, and to continue to honour myself.
Did you participate in the celebrations today?