The word came to me yesterday morning as I was getting out of bed but I decided to take a day to see if it will truly work.
Before I get out of bed I reach out my arms and legs. It’s an uncomplicated stretch that sends the message I’m about to get moving. As I did this I thought that stretch may be the perfect word.
In my work life we also speak of stretch goals, these are goals that are above the necessary ones. For example, in this blog my original goal had been to pay off my consumer debt in 30 months, my stretch goal became to pay off all consumer debt by the end of 2017.
I’ve been told many times that stretching isn’t supposed to hurt.If it does you’re doing it wrong. My hope is by selecting this word I will be more cognizant of self care.
I haven’t decided my big goals for the year but I can see the concept working for me on many levels.
- Physically: actually stretching and working on my flexibility; increasing work outs slowly
- Environmentally: bringing us closer to 0 waste
- Emotionally: stretching is a warm up and cool down piece which see es as a reminder that my emotional gas tank has to be full in order to be there for others
- Professionally: I have a change brewing and it’s a reminder to say yes and no. See above note 🙂
- Financially: I have a lot of goals and I need to balance them. I’m thinking of the kitchen and working hard to make this dream come true.
I’m excited about this and l think it will encourage me to grow while ensuring I remember to take care of myself.