ML has been wanting peach iced tea for a couple of weeks. I’m not a fan of iced tea but decided to keep an eye open for some when I was shopping. I didn’t see any but began to wonder how difficult it would be to make.
It turns out it’s not hard at all! It’s a combination of steeped tea and simple syrup. So when I saw that peaches were on sale this week I decided to surprise him.
Part 1: Peach Simple Syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 peaches, thinly sliced
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Once boiled, simmer until all sugar is dissolved. Stir constantly and use your spoon to press the peaches against the pan
- Once the sugar is dissolved, remove the pan from heat and keep it covered for about 30 minutes.
- Once ready to use strain the syrup into a jar.
- Store in the fridge
Part 2: Tea
- 4 cups of water
- 3 teabags, I used Orange Pekoe
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Put your teabags into a large teapot or heat safe container and pour the boiled water over the bags.
- Steep for 5 minutes then remove the teabags.
- Allow this to cool and then pour into a separate container.
- Store in the fridge.
- Note: the four cups is because the jar I used only holds four cups.
Part 3: Putting it together
The ratio we seem to like is one cup of tea to one tablespoon of syrup. I generally am not a fan of iced tea but I’m quite enjoying this!
Quick note on the storage:
I have kept my syrup and tea apart for a few reasons.
- The mixture will spoil more quickly
- This way we can adjust the ratio to suit our tastes
- Since my 1 cup of syrup is 16 tablespoons we can have 16 cups of peaches iced tea. That’s 3.78 litres of iced tea!
Do you have any iced tea tips?