They sat on my counter looking very forlorn, the rest of the batch had been used in salsas, sandwiches and salads. But these two had been neglected when I got sick and ML cooked something else.
They were at that soft stage that I knew they wouldn’t taste right in most things and I didn’t have a lot of energy. So I decided to make a Trini dish : tomato choka.
Now to be fair this is my version of it. The true version uses fresh ingredients but based on my situation at the time I used what I had.
- 2 Tomatoes
- Dehydrated onions
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Roast the tomatoes in your oven
- Once the skins begin to roast remove them from the oven
- Once slightly cooled remove the skins
- Mash the tomatoes to a pulp
- On the stove, heat a bit of olive oil and add the seasonings to taste
- Mix in the crushed tomato
- It will look like a salsa
In this instance I had it as a side with rice and chicken.
What do you do with sad tomatoes?