When I realized that our weekly grocery budget may go over I crossed salsa off the list because I knew we had tinned tomatoes. With the ingredients on hand I made this jar of goodness. I also filled a glass coffee jar as well but since all that’s already gone this is the only picture to share.
What I had on hand:
- 28 oz of tinned whole tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pepper sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Drain the juice from the can into the food processor, squeeze the tomatoes a bit so excess liquid goes into the food processor
- put all ingredients except the tomatoes into the food processor and blend
- Add the tomatoes and blend for a breath (10 seconds or so)
- Pour into your glass jars (~ 3 cups)
- I found this to be fairly liquid rather than the chunky way I prefer my salsa. It was a great addition to the chili and will be going into the meatloaf. I’ll also be adding it to my scrambled eggs in the morning.
- The tin of tomatoes is my most expensive ingredient as I used the whole thing at $1.25