A few months ago I banished my credit card to a drawer as I wasn’t being a responsible user. Last month after reading a fantastic post on How to Stuff Your Pig I decided to give this relationship another go.
November was my month of testing the relationship and it was pretty good. I am going to continue using my credit card for the month of December but I’ve got some rules:
- At the beginning of the month allocate funds for each week
- If there aren’t a lot of planned things stick some money in a miscellaneous line.
- Review the accounts weekly
- Note to future self: You feel awesome after doing this! Even when you’re tired and dreading it because you think you’ve over spent. Looking at the accounts and figuring out your next steps always makes you feel powerful and in control of your finances.
- Keep transferring into the overage savings account
- Note to future self: Only through knowing what you spent vs. what you thought you spent will you be able to use this overage account. See note above :). Remember how great it felt to see those savings pile up and know that you could use it on anything?