Yesterday ML and I hit the mall to get our final gifts. My goal was to have all gift shopping done by the end of November so I could avoid the December crowds and the desperation that leads to overspending. I’m proud to say that I succeeded!
All that’s left in my future is to bake, cook and crafts. I even wrapped most of the presents.
Tonight I added up the cost of the gifts, not including money spent on ML and it turns out I overspent the gift budget by ~70%.
Here’s a few reasons for this crazy increase:
- Secret Santa gifts weren’t included in my original list.
- 2 people I intended to bake for I purchased gifts for instead.
- I underestimated the cost of certain gifts.
- I doubled the amount spent on the child’s toy.
On the other hand this amount is quite reasonable when considering:
- I’ve presents for a ~30 people.
- 8 gifts are currently homemade and I’ve got 8 more to go
- I hadn’t taken hostess gifts into account in my original plan and was able to increase my homemade output.
- A good portion of gifts purchased were on sale or part of package that was sold for less than its retail value.
Earlier this month I anticipated that I hadn’t budgeted enough so I’m not feeling badly about this. Especially as I know that everyone on my list will enjoy their presents.
Now to stay out of the shops and get cracking on crafting so I don’t end up purchasing emergency gifts because I’ve not prepared enough.
How’s your list coming?